6 ‘o’clock Medicine

holding Kate yesterday at 6pm.

Dear Izzy, Max, and Kate,

Yesterday was one of those days when nothing was particularly bad, but nothing was particularly good either. My attitude wasn’t great yesterday. I’m tired from training alot. Unfortunately my confidence for  my race is still lacking.

And it rained all day.

When I got home I was a little down. Someone once explained to me that whatever you do for a living or however your day went, you should take that life  and those experiences off like a wet coat when you get home and hang it on a tree before walking in to greet your waiting family. If it was a bad day or even just an uneventful day you shouldn’t take that into your family time. I try, but I’m usually still thinking about my day as I open the door.

I was sick this fall. When I finally went to the doctor I found out I was really sick after I passed out in the doctors office – pneumonia. They mixed up a cocktail of medications for me. As it turned out, I was allergic to one of them. I had a reaction to that medication at my desk at work one day – numbness in my face and neck and difficulty breathing. I made a dumb decision and jumped in my car to drive to the doctors office. I was worried on my way there. Really worried. As soon as I arrived they gave me a shot – and within seconds the reaction to the medication stopped. To say I was relieved is an understatement. I’d convinced myself during the drive that I was having a stroke or a heart-attack. But with one little shot I was better.

So, most evenings at 6 ‘o’clock when I turn that door knob staring at that front door I should have painted years ago, I’m feeling a little weary, sometimes worried, sometimes overwhelmed. My shoulders are sagging and my head is heavy. But then you three hear that door close behind me and you yell “Daddy! Daddy’s home!” You come running around the corner from the living room into the foyer, sliding in your socks on the hard wood floor, and wrap yourselves around my legs. I give each of you a squeeze and a kiss and I’m better.

That’s strong medicine to stop my reaction to the world outside of our home. And that’s all that really matters.

Je t’aime,

– Daddy


Saturday: Rode 50 miles then did a 2 mile transition run at faster than race pace

Sunday: Ran 13.1 miles

Monday: REST

Tuesday: Swam 2000

Today: scheduled for a 5 mile run